Morrowind- I take it back . . .

Discussion for anything not relating to Naeldor or Neverwinter Nights

Moderators:Venture, Bigbluepaw

Venture
It's Bunderstuck damnit!
Morrowind- I take it back . . .

Post by Venture » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:55 am

A few times during our pre and post game chats in the start area, when Morrowind has come up as a topic, I've mentioned that I just didn't get it - that it bored me silly in the little bit I had played it. A couple of you (Tymesage I know was one) extolled its virtures, so I loaded it onto my laptop for my vacation . . . and I'm having a blast.

I do think that it takes the right frame of mind to enjoy it. I went into it this time not expecting a Bioware-type story. Also, the first time I tried it I had been playing a thief type character, and that was not only hard, but a bit slow. Now I'm playing a barbarian, and I'm finding plenty to do. The dilema I have now is that I just received Oblivion for the Xbox as a gift, and can't decide whether to hold off on it until I finish Morrowind (I did play about 5 hours worth already of Oblivion to verify that it is great).

So, thanks to you guys who recommended Morrowind.
Venture

So you talk to yourself and what do you know /
You answer back with a "Don't say so?"

(from "Something to Say" by the Connells)

Tunari
Asia

Post by Tunari » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:32 pm

I've been playing late night Oblivion for 2-3 weeks now. The world is huge!! Took a while to figure things out though since I didn't buy the game I didn't have a manuel. My pc builder just loaded on for me, but I printed a walkthrough and it helped a lot. You really need a walkthrough since the world is so big, there is just too much to take in a solve on your own, also some of the quests are pretty complicated.

I am playing a Spellsword. I picked a Breton race as I started with inherant Magicka ability and resistance. Chose Mage as birth sign. Think I am around level 22 now and have almost Expert skills in blade and block, and concentrated magic on Destruction and Restoration. So I have good melee skills and some very potent destruction spells to kill with and restoration to heal myself.

tip: once you are level 10, complete the Nocturnal Shrine quest. The reward is an unbreakable Skeleton Key and it also boosts you security level by about 40pts. I was finding lots of loot chests and doors I couldn't get into and that sucked. Good armor/weaps and spells are expensive, you have to get that loot. So if you aren't playing a thief/rogue type..get that key!! Than you just click on the Auto Attempt button over and over until it works. No lock will stop you.

For the first part of the game I spent a lot of time running from the battlefield/temples etc.. with the little loot I could carry straigt to the Market District to sell stuff. With no bags of holding, and my character wearing heavy armor, I could only carry so much. So that's how I did it, lot's of trips from one fast travel point to another to sell stuff. After you get a few thousand extra I highly recommend you buy a house in Imperial City. It's a shack, in the Waterfront District, but it is cheap and that way you can use it as a drop off for loot which you can later sell. I bought the house for $2000 and a basic container package for about $600, which gave me a storage chest and a couple dressers. They are bottomless, so fill them up. lol I have so much stuff in there right now it's ridiculous. lol You only need to rest to level up, so I sometimes would fast travel 10 times back and forth to a temple to my house to drop stuff off without resting. Also, when you level, so do your enemies, so I would finish one quest at a time and put off resting until later.
ex: You go into a temple you find, the bandits are wearing leather armor and using iron or steel swords. If you rest/level in the middle, when you go back in they will be wearing Elven Armor and using Dwarven Waraxes etc..
I never played the oter Morrowind/Elder Scrolls games, so if you have you might already know a lot I didn't, if the games follow the same design.

I got plenty of tips if you want em. There is an easy way to increase your fighting skills as long as you have the time to waste if you want to increase those without much risk and without cheating so to speak. Since those skills only increase if you are actually fighting something. There is an easy quest and you can kill some enemies over and over and they just respawn. = ) You can kill them and increase your skills for a couple hours until you are bored. lol I did and it helped get my melee skills up about 10-15 points.
Anyway, Oblivion is pretty fun, but again, the world is huge!! I haven't even finished the main quest yet and I am about level 22. lol So many sidequests and things to do.

Tunari :D

Justice, voiceless, unseen, seeth thee when thou sleepest and when thou goest forth and when thou liest down. Continually doth she attend thee...

Tunari
Asia

Post by Tunari » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:07 pm

Another thing you can do early on to increase your skills/levels and get paid is fight in the Arena. = ) You can fight nonstop until you are the grand champion..at which point you can only fight once a week since they have to capture and bring back the critters for you to fight. = )

In the beginning rounds you can't loot the other fighters in the arena, but once you are the Arena Grand Champion you can. Think I have been fighting 2-3 Minatour Lords at a time and I get to take their weapons and horns. Usually they have some sort of large warhammer worth about $1500 each. Also the payout for the fight is about $1500 as well. So not a bad take in for a few minutes of work once a week.

Tunari = )

Justice, voiceless, unseen, seeth thee when thou sleepest and when thou goest forth and when thou liest down. Continually doth she attend thee...