Online pen and paper D&D

For Naeldor discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else

Moderators:Venture, Bigbluepaw

Bedeo
The New Boss . . .
Online pen and paper D&D

Post by Bedeo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:29 pm

I grew up at a catholic, all boys boarding school (yes, I sound so very english, don't I) I had to pretend to be a complete jock to survive... as such never got the chance to indulge my Pen and paper D&d desire.

Sooo, does anyone know of any online D&D organizations that use chat programs and such to play over? Thought it might be itneresting for me to give it a shot.

Venture
It's Bunderstuck damnit!

Post by Venture » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:10 pm

I would do a Google search. Also, I think there may have been a thread on this very topic in the NWC forums, so you may want to check there. There is evidently some free software that really facilitates playing online. Although not online groups, I also remember finding links to some pen and paper groups in the York and Harrisburg area on some website that serves as a clearinghouse of sorts for D&D gaming groups. I never followed up on that, but I might still have those links on my home PC If you want me to check.

I can also hook you up to play with my 9-year old nephew if you'd like. :wink: Over vacation, my sister thought she had bought him a D&D boardgame for his birthday, but had actually bought him a D&D starter set. After he unwrapped it she was going to take it back, thinking it would be beyond him, but he wanted to keep it. So, on vacation, I DM'd him through an adventure and he was completely hooked. He's now devasted that he has nobody to play with on a regular basis. He's already roped my sister and mom into playing through an adventure he DM'd them through.
Venture

So you talk to yourself and what do you know /
You answer back with a "Don't say so?"

(from "Something to Say" by the Connells)

Bedeo
The New Boss . . .

Post by Bedeo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:05 pm

Heheh, that's classic.

Since I've got no experience, what do you actually need to start as a player? A manual of the latest rules at lewast?>

TymeSage
Zastaph Mantric

Post by TymeSage » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:15 pm

I guess so. basic ruleset should be fine.

perhaps you find this site interesting, especially the older downloads (AD&D books as .pdf-files)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/downloads
edit: forgot link, lol.
Magic lies in the eye of the Beholder

Venture
It's Bunderstuck damnit!

Post by Venture » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:23 pm

My nephew's gift was a box set that included some dungeon tiles, some basic rules, and a short module that was tailored for the tiles. Oh, and it had some plastic figurines too. It really walks the DM through everything. The problem is that the boxed set only goes to level 2 or 3.

To go all out, you'll need the Players' Handbook. The "core" rulebooks are the Players' Handbook, the DM Guide, and the Monster Manual.

One thing I had completely forgotten about - I told my nephew I'd dig out all my old miniatures for him - until I remembered that they were made of LEAD! (Something that they try to keep away from all kids nowadays. Funny what they learn over the years . . . Of course, I got by with only minimal brain damage myself).
Venture

So you talk to yourself and what do you know /
You answer back with a "Don't say so?"

(from "Something to Say" by the Connells)

Bedeo
The New Boss . . .

Post by Bedeo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:00 pm

So, I got myself the PDF files for the d&d and also Vampire the masquerade rulebooks (bought 'em, not pirated)...and found out about a program called OpenRPG...it's basically an IRC style chat program, with dicerollers and a basic graphical mapping function put in...looks very popular and rather cool. Going to join in a one-shot for the next week and see how it goes.

If anyone else is interested, let me know and I'll give you the details of the program etc. I've played a couple of d20 games on it where you can just walk in with a character, and I must say it's pretty cool.

Edit: Actually, it turns out that the Vampire storyline that I signed up for may be short this Wednesday. If anyone is interested in playing for a few weeks in a PnP style world of darkness setting, let me know and I'll pass on the DM's email address to you.